As an Admin of ShareMyToolbox Enterprise, adding and editing Items is simple, but there are many options to be aware of from Item Type to Kits and Consumables. This article will walk you through all you need to know.
In this article:
Note: Only Admin type profiles can add and edit Items in your database. The following article applies to Admins only.
Adding and Editing Items Tutorial
Admins can easily add Items from the ShareMyToolbox Web Portal or mobile app.
- Web Portal: From the Items menu, click on Add Item at the top of the page
- Mobile App: From the bottom navigation bar, tap Add Item
You will be presented with a blank Item record:
Choose Item Type
The first thing to select is the Item Type from the dropdown. There are 4 types of Items in ShareMyToolbox:
- Standard Item: These are your "normal" tools that are tracked individually and typically are serialized. You may also tag them with a barcode. Examples include drills, saws, compressors, etc.
- Quantity Item: These are generally less expensive items that aren't worth tracking individually and don't have serial numbers. Multiple items may be loaned to a crew at the same time. Examples include shovels, safety belts, hardhats, etc.
- Kit: A kit is a group of items linked together. An item defined as a kit will be the parent item and child items will be associated in a separate step.During workflow, when a kit is selected, all child items will move with the kit. Examples include a Knack box, scaffolding package, etc.
- Consumable: A consumable is a material item that will not be returned. A costing transaction will be created so that it can be charged to a job. Common examples of consumables are saw blades, caulk, duct tape etc.
Note: All but Standard Items must be enabled in Settings before they will display.
Caution: The Item Type cannot be changed once the Item is saved.
Standard Items and Kits
You can now begin adding all of the details about your Item. Add as much or as little as you wish.
Note: The only thing required to add a new Item is Type and Name.
More Information on Select Fields
Categories are defined by you and are used for sorting and filtering. Select an
existing category from the list or enter a new one in Settings.
Category examples include:
- Air tools
- Battery tools
This is the warranty expiration date for the Item. If a date is entered, the Admin AND the Borrower wIll receive a notification upon expiration (or days before from
Return warehouse will display if Location Tracking has been enabled. Only Locations that have been defined as warehouses will display on this dropdown.
Enter the warehouse where the item is inventoried and when the item is checked
in it will default to this location.
Last Audit Date
This field will appear if Audits are enabled in Settings. When an Audit is run on this Item the date will automatically be updated, however you can manually enter here as well.
Last Audit Condition
Last Audit Condition will display if Audit has been enabled in Settings. This will
update automatically when an item is audited, but you can can also manually
enter a condition. Available conditions are:
- Lost Stolen
Note: You can add a unique barcode or QR code in the Barcode field. This enables a mobile device to easily scan the item to view or take action.
Option not available on Quantity Items since those Items are not serialized and unique.
Tip: ShareMyToolbox adds 100 of the most common Manufacturers to the dropdown. You can easily add more in Settings.
Quantity Items and Consumables
When setting up Quantity Items and Consumables, fields that aren’t applicable to those Item types will be grayed-out. You also get the additional Quantity Field, allowing you to enter the starting available quantity up to 9999.
This value can be changed at any time as additional Items are purchased or disposed of.
Consumables have a workflow option on the Mobile App for editing quantities:
- Misc Adjustment
The advantage of using workflow is a transaction record is created for tracking
Note: Adding the Item Type Consumables can be enabled in Settings.
You can add up to 6 images.
- Web Portal: Click Images tab, click the + button to add an image from your computer.
- Mobile App: On the main Add Item screen, tap the + to upload from your device.
Tip: You can rearrange the order of images by dragging and dropping. The image on the far left will be used as the primary image shown in search results.
Click the Rental tab to manage Item Rental information. Rental items can be used
- To track items rented from outside vendors
- To track internal rentals to jobs for owned Items
Enabling Rental in Settings does two things:
- Turns on the Rental fields allowing entry
- Acts as an optional filter for the Costing Report to filter only the Items marked as rental
The Rental Start and Return date is used for externally rented tools and
equipment. A notification will be sent if the return date is used.
Up to 4 rates can be entered on an item and these will appear on the costing report. The rate labels are defined in Settings.
Click the Custom Details tab to enter up to 6 custom fields of information. These
are useful for tracking any additional information that is not available by default
The labels for these fields are defined in Settings:
Two custom dates can be entered. If a date is used then a notification will be sent when the date is reached.
Two custom text fields can be entered.
Tip: Text Field 1 will display on the tool card (mobile) next to the barcode. This Is useful for tracking a part number, bin location or internal tool number.
Two custom URL fields can be entered. A good example might be a link to a
training video for a tool.
Editing Items is simple in ShareMyToolbox. Once you’ve located the Item you wish to Edit, simply click or tap on the Item to open in Edit view.
The Edit view displays the Current Status, Current Location, and Due Back date if applicable.
Once you’ve updated any details on the Item, simply click or tap Save.
When editing an Item, additional icons appear at the top of the page:
Copy: Copies an Item to create a new Item. Note, Serial Numbers and Barcodes are not copied since they must be unique.
Delete: Deletes the Item. Note, Item cannot be Deleted if Loaned.
Add Note: Allows you to create a new Note tied to the Item.
Kit: Add the Item to a Kit. Note, if the Item is already a Kit type, then Manage Kit will display.
You’ll also notice two new tabs appear in Edit mode:
Notes: View all of the Notes for that Item
History: View all transactions for that Item